Alberta Oil Sands Fact Sheet
PERMANENT VENTURI TECHNOLOGY DELIVERS WATER & FUEL SAVINGS WITH NO
FREEZING FOR MANY FORT MCMURRAY AND PEACE RIVER WINTERS
Unlike mechanical steam traps, properly sized venturis have not failed even after multiple Fort McMurray and Peace River winters. Mechanical steam traps often fail within 3 years.
Since being retrofitted in 2004 and 2008 in one major oil sands Utility Area facility in Ft McMurray, 300+ venturi steam traps have been demonstrating superiority over mechanical traps in safety, reliability and quality assurance – minimizing maintenance costs and increasing efficiency and water savings. They have proven to be especially beneficial for the freezing conditions at the site, eliminating ice issues that created safety concerns.
Summary of Benefits that Venturi Technology Delivered
- Reliability in freezing weather: The venturi steam traps (venturis) have not leaked or failed. Unlike mechanical traps that batch process, venturis are designed to continuously flow thereby eliminating condensate residue at the bottom of pipes and the associated freezing related to trap operations. eSteamG technicians ensure proper sizing for a wide variety of applications.
- Safety: Venturis eliminated frozen external pipes splitting due to mechanical steam traps or trap-related water hammer. Additionally, the minimal maintenance required by venturi technology reduces risks to maintenance personnel.
- Water Savings: A small installation of 300+ venturis saved an estimated tens of million gallons of water annually through improving the efficiency of the operating system, reducing exhaust steam and eliminating trap-related pipe leaks.
- Fuel Savings & GHG Reduction: The reduction in water needs also translates to a reduction in steam generating needs and the associated economic benefit and CO2 reduction benefits.
- Maintenance Savings: Venturis require minimal maintenance, reducing overall repair and
- Extend Equipment Life: Venturis extended equipment life by eliminating condensate more efficiently, therefore reducing corrosion, flooding, and water hammer.
- Inventory reduction: Since eSteamG venturis made from 316 S have an operating life in excess of twenty years (guaranteed for 15 years) minimal inventory is required, compared with mechanical traps that continually need to be repaired and replaced.